English Literature Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FINAL PAPER

2 posters

Go down

FINAL PAPER Empty FINAL PAPER

Post by JDCamargoE11A Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Camargo Eslava Juan Diego
11ª
English Literature – Essay
1984 (George Orwell)
Mr. Juan Pablo Fajardo
Colegio Bilingüe Integral
13/03/2017

George Orwell, pseudonym of Eric Arthur Blair (born June 25, 1903, Motihari, Bengal, India—died January 21, 1950, London, England), English novelist, essayist, and critic famous for his novels Animal Farm (1945) and Nineteen Eighty-four (1949), the latter a profound anti-utopian novel that examines the dangers of totalitarian rule. George Orwell was an English novelist, essayist, and critic most famous for his novels Animal Farm (1945) and Nineteen Eighty-four (1949). He was a man of strong opinions who addressed some of the major political movements of his times, including imperialism, fascism and communism.

“1984 - George Orwell
The year 1984 has come and gone, but George Orwell’s prophetic, nightmarish vision in 1049 of the world we were becoming is timelier than ever. 1984 is still the great modern classic of “negative utopia” ___ a startlingly original and haunting novel that creates an imaginary world that is completely convincing, from the first sentence to the last four words. No one can deny the novel’s hold on the admonitions ___ a power that seems to grow, not lessen, with the passage of time”.

I decided to start with this little introduction about George Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair) because about his specific way to see and to understand the literature, giving a different manner to live and to perceive the world and the society taking into account all the events we face daily. George Orwell had strong opinions, as I named it previously but it doesn’t mean that his texts were equal of strong opinions, for example 1984, he present as a really interesting story with specific characters, with a specific place and it plot, it is an original novel because it creates an imaginary world, something that doesn’t exist but he show it to us as a reality.
One of the thing that call mi attention was seeing the cover page of the novel or of the text, was who is George Orwell? Because as I know the author was Erick Arthur Blair, then in English literature class with Mr. Fajardo he told us about it, but it stays in my mind. Why if the novel will take a lot of fame and acknowledgments he doesn’t put his real name to really can and be recognized for all the world, or maybe not all the world, just be recognized in the Literature world, so, I make some investigation about it and I found the reason why he used de pseudonym (George Orwell) in his texts, first of all we have to know that many authors choose to write their texts using a pseudonym or pen name, Erick Arthur Blair worked with this pen name (George Orwell). The reason why or the story of why he used a pen name is that before he 'became' George Orwell. He had already established and create a lackluster or bad reputation under his original name with some texts and novel he had wrote. So when he decide to publish the new ones, his publisher recommend him to use the pseudonym George Orwell instead his original name, Erick Arthur Blair just wanted to publish their work so he take the decision and he went with it, and for that is why we know him as George Orwell to great a successful future in the literature with his texts.
The first part of the book 1984 (George Orwell) tells as the situation that the story take place and the plot in which the main character is involved, and to introduce the readers and help them to make part of the story
Winston Smith, is a functionary in where he is in charge to receive some articles of past numbers of the newspaper as example and the predictions that the Big Brother said and imposed, and it coincide then with the real life, it means is in charge to manipulates the data for the benefit of the Party, Oceania always had been like in a war with Eurasia and joint with Eastern Asia, but Winston remember that before, the situation was not like that, that was at the opposite. Winston is married, but his wife, Katherine, was really cold and simple with he, she doesn’t shows signs of sweetie, maybe was for the rules of the Party about the love that it can’t be any loving demonstration, that you can’t have sex if is not with the end to reproduce their self. For that they decide to have a little son, but the relation was problem behind problem so they separated, because is also prohibited the divorce. Winston was totally in disagreement of all that the Party and the Big Brother established, but he was afraid and he stay quiet, not even with O’ Brien a friend of him, and he thing he had the same way to think and the same perception of the party’s rules. There were some stories that talk about a sisterhood or group that all the contrary of the Big Brother and the Party, but it was just a story, and if it really exits it can be possible get together with them because the Party doesn’t allow that. Winston was in totally disagreement with the party, and he doesn’t talk about it because the thinking police and the screens, so he start to write his thoughts about the Big Brother’s rules in a diary, and it helps him to unburden. There a women that works with his friend O’Brien, and he had cross some words with her one time, but he think that thoughts of she weren’t the same of he, he saw her in repeatedly times, he thought she were following him or something. Winston talks with a old man to talk about the past, about how was the world before the party, he invited him some beers, but the old men talks about other things Winston doesn’t want to know, so he leave him. Then he enter to the Charrington’s store where he buy the diary, and Charrington show him a room with many antiques.

As I could note in the novel of George Orwell, the Totalitarianism is always present, is always there, every moment, every hour, every second, all the Party is below the Big brother but, how is the rules of him? Is all totalitarianism, as is really clearly in the text, the Big Brother and the Party, tries to control each aspect of the live of the people that is part of them, they try to control how the people waste each minute of their time, even in private, totalitarianism is also about which what kind of people they can associate, what is permitted to tell, basically it tries to control all what people think and in what they believe.
As we can see in all the story Winston is always in disagreement with the rules the Big Brother and the party stablish in their mandate, and truly he had the reason, because there are some things that are normal and casual to do it daily, things that the party must don’t care about it, because are private things people do. In the novel the author George Orwell name some rules that the Big brother put to all the people that are part of the party, for example how is possible that Love can’t be demonstrated to your couple, and you can’t have sex with him or her, if isn’t with the intention to reproduce yourself, it cannot be possible in the actually society in which the sexual relationships are the most way to demonstrate your love your couple, without the intention to reproduce, for the party’s members the love relationships and sexual relationships were prohibited.
Another thing that is also prohibited for the Party and the Big Brother was had different emotions than the ones of them. How is possible have the same emotions of another person in this case a group of persons, all the people were guarded by some screens and microphones all the time, the 24 hours of the day, the 7 days of the week, so it’s like obligatory to have their same thoughts, for this they lose their privacy and all was seen, they just accept fillings of fear, scare and hate, based in tricks, for that reason the love between them doesn’t exist, all the love and respect goes to the Big Brother.
For me maybe the worst of all of them, the private life as the emotions the screens and microphones for been seen and heard all what you do and all what you said, can you imagine your daily life without your private life, totalitarianism in this aspects for me its sucks, all of those are things all the humans need and any Party and any “Big Brother” can prohibited it.
What I want to specify with this isn’t to relate it with something, is to name and highlight the violation of many things in many aspects of things we had as essentials. I’ll like to see how the Colombian society will react to this rules and this Party, during the reading I thought about it, about my family, about my friends, about all, ally would be different with that, and I think it was what George Orwell try to teach or to leave in each one of the readers of his text, the way to imagine another world with literature, another way to life, another way to see the daily life and the society.

JDCamargoE11A

Back to top Go down

FINAL PAPER Empty Re: FINAL PAPER

Post by Admin Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:27 pm

This text does not follow the structure or the intention of an argumentative essay, this is basically an opinion about the situations of the text.

Your grade is a 5

Admin
Admin

https://elit11.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down